Thursday, October 7, 2010

Comments

These are two examples of comments I left on two social media websites. 

1. http://www.pammarketingnut.com/2010/09/your-facebook-status-i-dont-care-what-you-had-for-lunch-or-do-i/
While the Facebook statistics are staggering at first glance, they slowly start to make sense when I evaluate how much time I tend to spend on the site everyday. Having said that, I am not one of those users who share personal information at all, and I think it’s pathetic when people share every minute of their lives with the entire world. I believe that when it comes to Facebook, there are two types of people:  the self-centered narcissitics and the secret snoopy individuals who spend their time reading about other people’s lives. The two groups are co-dependent and that’s why the Facebook community works so well for so many people. As for myself, I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. While I find myself lured to the site on a daily basis, I also find myself complain about the information that my other friends post on there. I tried to deactivate my account countless times, but the temptation and curiosity are sometimes too much to resist. 

This new step forward of moving “promoted trends” to the top of the list on Twitter only seems logical and inevitable. It was only a matter a time before twitter’s popularity will become so noticeable that people will start using it for their own purposes and try to make it a profit out of it. I remember when I first heard about Twitter it was considered rather pointless and a cheap exploitation of the ever-so popular Facebook, at the time. Now, with million of people and companies all “tweeting” for about their lives or products, why shouldn’t they use Twitter to benefit themselves. It’s understandable and acceptable that twitter along with many other social media websites will become a promotional tactic and a marketing strategy for those who can afford to promote their ads on the site. Whether it be, movies, TV shows, or other products, Twitter offers people and companies the opportunity to advertise their commodities as a “Promoted Trend” that will surely get noticed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment