Wednesday, September 15, 2010

OPEN POST

As far as I can remember, I have always been a fan of television shows. I appreciate and enjoy watching television far more than I do films, and I can safely say I’m familiar with many different programs, in almost every different genre. I truly love watching TV about every possible topic; from sports to food, to dramas to game shows. As a true fan of TV, I’ve read a few articles about many people’s criticisms that television along with the internet has replaced the much more educational activity of reading and other valuable hobbies and interests. In the past, I used to disagree with this notion, and strongly argued that TV can be informative and does have an academic value and importance. However, over the past few years, I have seen a significant increase in television shows that are, for a lack of a better word, trash! 
The “trashy” new genre of programs I’m referring to, also known as Reality, is what I now hate about television. Although reality TV shows have been on the air for quite some time, they have been completely modified and redefined to fit our current and modern culture. I have no problem with ‘Survivor’ , ‘Top Chef’ or even the incredibly obnoxious ‘Bachelor/Bachelorette’ reality shows. What I absolutely cannot stand to watch are shows such as ‘Tool Academy’ , ‘I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here” and the ever- so- popular, ‘Jersey Shore’
I understand the appeal of watching game shows such as ‘Survivor’ and/or competitions such as ‘Top Chef’ and ‘Project Runway, but I cannot understand the appeal in shows such as ‘The Simple Life’, ‘The Girls Next Door’ and ‘Jersey Shore’. It’s hard to defend television programs that have such a low standard, yet are extremely popular among the viewers. Most of the shows that I consider to be shameless and distasteful are in such high demand that the networks and studios are expected to film many more than just a single season. 
Maybe I’m missing the appeal in watching ordinary people humiliate and degrade themselves for the whole world to see, but nevertheless, these shows are legitimizing the arguments made by many people who think television is vulgar and useless. I’m beginning to see the harmful effect that these types of shows could potentially have on younger children, and that these “reality stars” could become the kids’ future role models. 
It’s difficult to point the finger at who’s to blame for this sudden outburst of reality television programs. The only reason the networks and studios keep making these shows is because there is an enormous demand for them from the audience. People keep referring to them as “guilty pleasures” but I fail to see what’s pleasurable about watching celebrities, amateurs and wannabes in scripted situations that are meant to appear real. 
Despite my love, respect and appreciation for television shows, the reality genre has never been my preferred choice. I struggle to understand its massive popularity and I refuse to lower my standards and accept it as valuable or educational in any way, shape or form. In the meantime, while everyone else is still enjoying they Jersey Shore hype, I’ll just wait until this group of “guidos” and “guidettes” runs out of their fifteen minutes of fame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment